I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Sunday, June 1, 2008

How to Overcome

For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; (Romans 13:3)

As I thought and prayed about this passage again this morning I saw another deep principle of reality emerging from the fog. I still struggle with this claim that if you do what is good that you will have praise from authorities. But the thought came to me that this is exactly the way God deals with everyone. He is simply instructing us to relate to evil the very same way He does Himself.

But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. (Matthew 5:44-45)

Once again it becomes even more certain that the real issue here has nothing to do with how good or evil the authorities are but how I respond in relationship to them. It means that when I am like my Father in heaven I will treat evil authorities no different in many respects than I would a brother in the body of Christ. I will not be able to confide in them like I might with a brother, but the way I will treat them will be the same. This will definitely take the eyes and heart of Jesus to do, for this is far beyond my own ability to accomplish.

But what is the deeper principle that I see emerging here? It is that good will always ultimately win over evil, but not necessarily quickly. And secondly, good will win over evil by never using force like evil does but by kindness and love and respect for those who don't deserve it. The secret of power from heaven's perspective is never in the application of force or coercion but in the softening, sweetening influence of selfless love and service in the face of the very opposite. Evil may accomplish great feats and conquer vast territories and exercise domination over millions and billions of people, but it will always be exposed as really weakness masked over by deception when the light of love and truth shines onto the face and into the heart of those caught up in the use of it.

But how can God declare that if we do good we will receive praise from (evil) authorities? How can He be so confident that this is going to happen when so much of the evidence that we can see seems to indicate the very opposite?

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

The insights that I have observed over the past few years about the real truth about hell now come back to apply themselves to the present circumstances. The way God chooses to relate to authorities, whether good or evil, inevitably results in their ultimate and complete exposure, but even more importantly it finally results in their free and willing recognition and acknowledgment of His goodness, fairness and love for them. By this means and this means only He induces them – even from the very worst enemies of His in all of history – to spontaneously bow down freely without any coercion whatsoever and worship Him as Lord and the legitimate and only true authority. They will confess that they were wrong and they will give Him all the glory and honor that rightly belongs to Him. This is the secret weapon that God uses to permanently resolve sin and is the very same weapon that we are required to employ if we are to overcome as He overcomes.

It is not in resisting evil that God overcomes it, but it is in the revelation of true goodness that evil is overcome. This works on the micro level just the same as it works on the macro level. To believe otherwise is to pick up the concepts of the enemy designed to confuse and distort our perception of God and to mislead us into attempting to overcome using the wrong weapons. This is one of the greatest dangers of the last days. It is becoming more and more clear to me that very many who claim to have the truth are clamoring to “overcome” the enemy and his agents by means and with a spirit that have been borrowed from the enemy's camp instead of being truly led by the real Spirit of Jesus.

And it is on this very point that I perceive one of my own greatest weaknesses. It is becoming more evident to me how much of the spirit of resistance and resentment still fills my heart, especially when faced with injustice and coercion. That is exactly the desired effect that injustice and coercion are designed to produce in people. But I want to be free of that reaction and want to not only understand the right ways of God to relate to this but to be thoroughly born again, to have a new heart and a right spirit that is totally free from every trace of this reactionary bitterness.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.... Do not be haughty in mind.... Do not be wise in your own estimation. Never pay back evil for evil to anyone.... If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord. (Romans 12:14-19)

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:21)

As I sense God asking me to live within the boundaries that He has set for His own actions in relationship to authorities and to everyone for that matter, I find that to be a completely impossible request given the tendencies and strong reactions that flare up in my heart whenever I am faced with these volatile situations. But I also believe that God is into accomplishing impossible things in those who are willing to be transformed by the renewing of their minds.

God, all I can say again is – do Your thing in my life, whatever that is. It is too overwhelming for me to understand and too frightening for me to attempt myself. It is quite clear to me that I will be more amazed than anyone else when I see myself acting the way You are asking me to act with Your Spirit in me relating to people with Your compassion and kindness and total freedom from bitterness through my body and mind and mouth. I give You permission again to do whatever it takes to mentor me to that place You have for me emotionally. Access every part of my heart and mind and finish the healing and repairs that need to be done so that my life will bring real glory and honor to You under any circumstances.

Thank-you for doing this, for hearing my prayer and for valuing me so much as to make me part of Your intimate body. Fill me with Your Spirit, Your gentleness, Your patience, Your perception and Your compassion for Your name's sake.

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.