I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

When to Speak or Judge

I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I speak to the world.
...I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me. (John 8:26, 28)
Even if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone in it, but I and the Father who sent Me. (16)

What is the underlying reason Jesus chose not to speak and judge?
He came to reflect, not to initiate. However, that did not prevent Him from being able to perceive situations and people's hearts from heaven's perspective and to have the ability to do much more than what He did do. He chose to limit what He said and how much He exposed others to only what He was prompted to do by His Father as an example of how we should relate to others.

We may have insights about situations or motives of others that may be very interesting and even compelling but that may need to remain within our own minds just as Jesus demonstrated here. God may give us insights for our benefit that are not intended to be conveyed to others at that point in time. If we take the initiative and misuse the insights or knowledge that we have been given instead of relying on the Spirit for constant guidance and timing in these matters, we may find ourselves usurping the role of the Spirit by trying to bring conviction to others. But when we try to convict others – judge them – the results are always negative. They will feel condemned instead of convicted and will react defensively instead of with repentance. We can spoil years of work that God has been accomplishing in someone's heart by gentle promptings of His Spirit by trying to convict them ourselves using inside information that should have remained inside us until the Spirit prompted us to share it.

We must also be very careful to check the source of our promptings. Not every prompt is from the Holy Spirit and it is quite easy to confuse where it is coming from if we are not in the constant practice of staying in close connection with God's Spirit and listening obediently. Our flesh can easily imitate the Spirit of God and other spirits can imitate Him as well. That is why God tells us to test every spirit before believing that it comes from heaven. Just because it sounds or feels like a good idea from our perspective does not mean it comes from God.

There are two things here, speaking and judging. I wonder what is significant about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.