I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Father Identity

I keep seeing more and more clearly that this whole chapter of John 8 seems to have a running theme of fatherhood. Let me go back and review it in this light. Of course, the idea of a chapter to start with is a very artificial creation that was introduced many years after this passage was originally written so there may be much more in the surrounding context if I look a little farther as well. But for now I think I will focus mostly on this section.

The chapter begins with Jesus coming back to the temple area after spending the night out on the Mount of Olives. The previous day He had had an intense discussion with these same Jews that was strikingly similar to the one in this chapter. Now He comes back in to teach in the temple and the leaders decide to disrupt His teaching and try to destroy His influence and maybe even His life by plunging Him into a trap designed to discredit Him. They threw a woman caught in adultery in front of Him demanding a decision about her immediate punishment.

Looking at this story in the context of the rest of the chapter, it looks to me like Jesus treats her like a good father which she may have never had the privilege of having growing up. As a good father Jesus chooses to protect her from men with evil malice against her, He shows compassion and forgiveness to her and gives her another chance to experience an atmosphere of love where she can begin to feel safe enough to have her wounded spirit begin to heal. Jesus in this story demonstrates what a real father can look like in practical terms.

Following that, Jesus immediately launches into statements about His own true identity and begins to unfold both the truth about His real Father in heaven and His own relationship with that Father who is also the one who wants to be the Father of each one of us. The Jews immediately take up their challenge of Him from the previous day and openly sneer at the dubious circumstances and rumors surrounding the birth of Jesus. The issue of who is who's father seems to play a dominant theme in this chapter.

My judgment is true; for I am not alone in it, but I and the Father who sent Me. (v. 16)
the Father who sent Me testifies about Me. (v. 18)
So they were saying to Him, "Where is Your Father?" Jesus answered, "You know neither Me nor My Father; if you knew Me, you would know My Father also." (v. 19)
"...the things which I heard from Him, these I speak to the world." They did not realize that He had been speaking to them about the Father. (v. 26-27)
I speak these things as the Father taught Me. And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him. (v. 28-29)
We are Abraham's descendants... (v. 33)
if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. (v. 36)
I speak the things which I have seen with My Father; therefore you also do the things which you heard from your father. (v. 38)
They answered and said to Him, "Abraham is our father." Jesus said to them, "If you are Abraham's children, do the deeds of Abraham." (v. 39)
You are doing the deeds of your father.
They said to Him, "We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God." (v. 41)
If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God... (v. 42)
You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. ...he is a liar and the father of lies. (v. 44)
He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God. (v. 47)
I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me. (v. 49)
Surely You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets died too; whom do You make Yourself out to be? (v. 53)
it is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you say, 'He is our God'; and you have not come to know Him, but I know Him... (v. 54-55)
Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad. (v. 56)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.