I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bearing Weaknesses, Carrying Burdens

Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves. Each of us is to please his neighbor for his good, to his edification. For even Christ did not please Himself; but as it is written, "the reproaches of those who reproached You fell on me." (Romans 15:1-3)

"Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30 NRSV)

I am wondering what these verses mean for me personally. There is so much here and almost none of it is going to happen in my life by my own efforts naturally unless the Spirit does His work in me. But how am I to relate to and perceive the application of these words to my own experience in the context of what I have been learning over the past few days and weeks?

I see in the words of Jesus here how He fulfills the description of what Paul talks about. And it seems clear enough that the example of Jesus and how He relates to me (and that requires ongoing updates of my perceptions about the real truth about how God relates to me) is the demonstration of how He desires me to relate to and treat others. That is implicit in the words, take my yoke upon you, and learn from me....

It is obvious that Jesus is stronger than any of us. From that place of strength He bears my weaknesses and puts my needs ahead of pleasing Himself. That too is implicit in the words, for I am gentle and humble in heart.... But it is not quite so clear just how I am to follow His example in my relationship with others.

I reckon that a good starting place would be to learn to reflect the gentleness and humility of Jesus in my own spirit. I am tempted to say that this is a very difficult task for me but then I notice the last words in this verse, my yoke is easy and my burden is light. That alerts me to the fact that if I think it is hard then I must still not be in right relationship with Jesus or I am still very confused about what He is really like and is desiring for me to emulate.

I am reminded of a term that carries a great deal of meaning that I have heard in the past – wounded healers. It conveys the idea that those ministering to others are themselves in constant need of healing but at the same time are likely ahead in their healing process of those they in turn are ministering to. Though at times it seems illogical, I must remember that I cannot wait until I am fully healed before I am willing to pass along the grace to someone else that is working to transform my own wounds.

But just how does this process of bearing weaknesses take place? How does Jesus relieve me of my heavy burdens? This all sounds very appealing and attractive in many ways but at the same time it seems obscure a little bit, sort of mysterious or mystical. I have had this question swirling around in my heart for most of my life whenever I hear these words quoted from Jesus. It's great to say that I should just come to Him whenever I feel weighed down in my spirit and find rest, but in actuality what does that really involve? And not only how can I understand it well enough to experience it deeply myself, how can I be able to explain it to someone else and how am I to copy that example for them as well?

I am not so sure I want to attempt to satisfy all of these questions in a hurry. Quick answers to deep heart questions are almost always disappointing at best and these are the kinds of emotional questions that I prefer to leave on the table for God to address more thoroughly in His timing. But at the same time I have also found it very helpful, instructive and often inviting for God to spend some time dwelling on the words and seeing the various ways they apply and the many different implications that can be discovered in the context. As I allow my mind to consider many different possibilities I am usually moved at a deeper level by confirmations, insights from the outside and convictions by the Spirit of God that bring me peace, rest and – yes, joy as I allow myself exposure to the presence of God in my meditation.

One thing that seems striking to me is the parallel nature of these two passages. In Romans Paul is addressing those he says are stronger than those they should be helping and in Matthew there is no question that Jesus is speaking from a position of greater strength than those He invites to come to Him. I also sense that there is similarity in the reasons or objectives of the activities described here. In Romans one of the main reasons for bearing other's weaknesses is for their edification, to help them integrate into the edifice of the temple of God. In Jesus' words the emphasis of the objective is much more relational in nature, though the purpose of the instructions in Romans is also relational.

I am running out of time right now to pursue this further this morning but I am going to be listening today to what the Spirit has to say on this as I work and travel and live life. I invite you to also open your heart and mind to listen to what God desires to share with you about this. And I would be thrilled to hear what you might receive as you listen for His voice in your heart about this. For if you are reading this you are likely being drawn into the same body, the same temple of God that I am being integrated into and we have something to share with each other for our edification.

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.