I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Judging and Holiness

...Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living. (Romans 14:5-9)

As I read this passage again this morning I was reminded of the very insightful teaching on the word “holy” that I heard from Craig Hill of Family Foundations. He pointed out that the true concept in this word “holy” does not so much mean good or righteous or pious as we often associate with it, but it simply means exclusive dedication to something or someone else for their use. Holiness, therefore, must always have an object toward which it is focused.

Now I am seeing this very concept clearly spelled out in these verses in Romans 14. The need to be fully convinced in our mind is the very same idea as being fully dedicated in the word “holy”. And this makes sense since we are called to be a holy people before God. Without holiness no one can see God and live. But that holiness is not a self-generated piety or perfection by which we get ourselves finally good enough to convince God to let us into His presence. It is a total and exclusive dedication of our complete being in pure abandon to the will and ways and authority of God in our lives.

Notice in this passage how many times the phrase for the Lord is repeated. It is also interesting to note that this phrase applies equally to people who have sharp differences of opinions about certain religious subjects. And yet Paul is stressing very much here that we absolutely must not view anyone with contempt because they hold a different opinion about some point differing from ours. He even goes on to say that God is quite able and will make them stand, independent of our opinions about their beliefs. What this is really saying is the same thing that is found in the true meaning of “holiness”, that the object of our focus and attention and devotion is to be exclusively the Lord.

I took up this phrase about being fully convinced in our own minds a few days ago and wondered what deeper implications might be uncovered in it. I am now seeing some of those deeper implications. To be fully convinced in my own mind is very important, but at the same time it is even more important what the object of that conviction is. I have seen too many tragic examples of those who are fully convinced of their own opinions and subsequently view with contempt anyone who differs with them while strenuously trying to convince others of their own opinions. But when I compare this passage with what I learned about true holiness I see that the object of my being fully convinced is to be found in an exclusive devotion to God as my Lord, not to an opinion that becomes my slave-master.

In this passage I am clearly instructed that whatever beliefs I hold need to come from a total submission and devotion and relationship with God that is greater than any belief or opinions that I may hold. This reinforces the growing conviction I have had that my spirit and my relationship with God must always trump my ability to prove that I am right or the accuracy of my opinions. And furthermore I must definitely avoid taking the next step and spend time criticizing others and dwell on how I think they are wrong. This chapter is a blatant warning against going down this path.

Quite apparently the Christians that Paul was writing to must have had a problem with this divisive activity and unfortunately nothing has changed much today. It is still all too easy a temptation to fall into by growing Christians (that be all Christians) who find it a challenge to keep their focus on their own relationship with God and off of comparing themselves with others in the body. But what I am seeing in these verses is that the far more important aspect that I must focus on is my relationship with Jesus who died and rose to life again in order that I and He might have this exclusive relationship of holiness with each other.

This is spelled out very clearly in the words for this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord. This tells me that at least one of the main reasons He did what He did when He came to this earth was to be able to establish that unique kind of relationship with each one of us. Verse five says in the original language that very specifically, individually, each one in particular apart from what anyone around them does, needs to be fully convinced, or to be exclusively dedicated themselves to engage in a holy-kind of relationship with this Lord, the Christ, the Savior in their own mind.

Verse eight is also very enlightening in this respect. One of the true definitions of a genuine Christian is a person who no longer lives or even dies for themselves. This addresses the issue of self-survival that is an inherent instinct in all of us. But Jesus said that those who want real life must let go of their desperate grasp on life in order to achieve real life. If we try to stay in the mode of self-justification, self-defense, self-promotion and comparing ourselves with others to determine how valuable we are, we will not be able to enter into the eternal life that Jesus came to offer us.

If we find ourselves judging others or viewing them with contempt it is very likely that we are slipping back into a mode of living for ourselves again and are no longer resting in that exclusive, holy relationship with our Lord who is able to make us stand. We are not only putting stumbling blocks and obstacles in the paths of those around us but we are also creating or exposing faults within our own lives that we will be required to give an account of in the day of final Judgment ourselves.

This sheds light on verse ten as well. If judging someone else in the body of believers creates an issue within my own heart for which I must give account to my own Lord in judgment, then why would I do such a thing? In fact, now that I think about this a little bit, the thing I may be required to give account for is my attempt to usurp the role of judge in someone else's life. So how am I going to explain to the true Judge of all the universe why I thought I was capable of taking His place and doing His job for Him in someone else's life? What gives me the illusion that I can meddle in someone else's relationship with their Master and Lord? What makes me think I have that kind of authority over their relationship with God?

This is getting stickier and stickier the more I think about it. This is very similar to me attempting to step in and try to micromanage and advise and control how someone else's spouse should relate to their partner in marriage, especially when my own marriage is far short of ideal. It actually might be very tempting for me and for many others to do that very thing, but it would also be ludicrous if I have my head on straight at all. It is never my place to try to control how another person should relate to their husband or wife. And likewise it is never my place to attempt to control or manipulate someone else's intimate relationship with their lover and Lord, Jesus their Savior.

I have to confess that these warnings and instructions are all too applicable to me. I wish that was not the case, but it is true. I am all to easily tempted to judge others and view them with contempt and try to manipulate their relationship with the Lord. I may do so because I am comparing their opinions and beliefs with my own instead of paying closer attention to listening to the Spirit communicating to me from my own Lord. That means I am meddling instead of serving, and that will always end in disaster.

Lord, keep reminding me that I have far too many issues and faults of my own to spend time dwelling on those of others. Remind me that the most important thing for me to focus on at all times is to be in right relationship to You as my Lord and not try to lord it over someone else through contempt, fault-finding and a critical attitude. I likely do these kinds of things because I still don't have a grasp at the heart level of how much You value me, and so I try to make myself feel more valuable by comparing myself with others that I think are less right than me. Forgive me for doing this so often and change the way I think and the way I perceive others. Give me the eyes of heaven and Your heart of love and compassion to see others with the same infinite worth and value that You see in them. And help me to really grasp how much You value and cherish me so that I will not be so tempted to compare other's opinions with mine and judge them with contempt.

Thank-you Father, for not treating me the way I have treated others so many times. If You judged me like I judge others I would be overwhelmed with discouragement and depression and would have given up on our relationship many years ago. Please get me off this addiction quickly and heal whatever is inside me that continues to feed on this sin. Cleanse me from all unrighteousness and cause me to reflect more perfectly Your glory and Your grace so that others will be more attracted to wanting You as their Lord.

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.