I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Convictions and Conflict

Something I am beginning to see in my study of this chapter of Romans is the need to live in peace while properly relating to the potentially tension-creating situation described here. In this chapter (14) I am instructed to accept, even embrace as family, others in the body of Christ who believe differently about certain things than I do but at the same time be fully convinced in my own mind and heart about what God has revealed to me about those same issues.

This is a relatively new concept to me and is almost foreign to my thinking. What was modeled for me most of my life was quite the opposite of this teaching. The people who mentored me tended to play up their differences with other people and intentionally pointed them out and made that a reason to criticize and find fault with those who didn't agree with them. Thus pride was fostered in the heart and a system of comparing ourselves with other people became deeply ingrained in my life.

But I am now seeing that this way of relating to other believers is just the opposite as taught in the Bible, despite all the “proof texts” assembled to justify the actions of those who believe in amplifying differences. Is this a recipe for compromise and dilution of truth in the church as many are sure to claim? Well, I have to first of all be accountable to God for the truth as it is shared with me by the Holy Spirit directly from the Word of God. So I have to unravel this issue enough to see what the real purpose of God is for my life and listen in humility to the convictions of the Spirit.

Notice the verses in this chapter that highlight this important point.

Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. (Romans 14:1)

...Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. (Romans 14:5)

I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus... (Romans 14:14)

The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he (violates his internal belief about some issue), because his (action that violates his own conscience) is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin. (Romans 14:22-23)

Now that I think about this a little more, I wonder if part of the real problem is that when someone else presents beliefs or doctrines that differ from my own, that secretly I feel threatened because I am not really fully settled in my own heart about that particular issue as much as I think I am. Oh, I may be a strong defender of that particular belief or doctrine even to the point of fanaticism, but that may be because I have only embraced it with my head (and a great deal of prejudice as well) but have not really had my heart transformed by the underlying truth of that belief, if indeed it is true.

If that is the case then a certain amount of tension or even guilt will be sensed whenever someone brings up that hot-button issue and to avoid feeling that sense of internal condemnation I may react in very strong opposition to that person believing that the real problem is in them and not in myself. This is a very common problem with humans, much more than most people ever care to admit or even believe possible. But whenever I find myself blaming others repeatedly for something it is a sure indicator that something inside my own heart is unresolved and needs to be exposed and faced much more directly.

It is a common reaction that whenever someone triggers a subject or unresolved issue in our own heart that we will tend to blame the ones who “caused” us to be triggered instead of taking responsibility ourself. But blame never resolves anything, it only attempts to mask the real problem and prevents us from achieving the healing that God wants to accomplish in our life and is so necessary to prepare us to encounter His dangerous presence.

It is equally true that whenever a person is fully settled in their mind and in their heart about a certain issue that when they meet others who believe differently than they do that there is no longer any intensity stirred up within them, no feelings that need to be suppressed or dealt with, no internal twinges of condemnation that create unease. This is the peace that comes from a settled mind and heart that has been healed by the truth and a gentle spirit that is synchronized with God and does not feel any need to justify itself.

As I have pointed out before, the examples that Paul used here in this chapter were some of the biggest “hot-button” issues in religion that caused the greatest conflicts in the church of his day. But they have lost most of their edge for people today and so their impact to convey the real message of this chapter today no longer illicits the explosive potential reactions in our thinking like they would have in the minds of those he was originally addressing. So to really get the strong emphasis that Paul intended this passage to have, we might do well to insert our own hot-button subjects into this passage in place of the ones he used to allow the text to speak its truth more forcefully to us today.

Those potential subjects will vary widely depending on the church, the culture or even the particular sub-group that you may find yourself in. But it is not really that hard to find something to bring this passage to life for us. Just think a little bit about what triggers you the most, what makes you feel defensive, what makes you feel an intense need to protect the religion or beliefs that you strongly believe in and you will likely have a good candidate for plugging in to this passage and seeing how the conviction of the Spirit of God can bring this truth to life in your own experience.

I know that in the culture and religion that I am most familiar with and the one that I grew up in around my own family that there are a number of hot-button topics that would easily fit this description. It takes very little to start up an argument around some of the people I know on certain subjects. But the real question that needs to be faced is, how can I relate to that trigger for conflict to examine the root cause for dis-ease in my own soul? If I feel intense about anything then assuredly there is a root of bitterness or a lie-based belief that still lies buried and potentially undetected in my own heart that God wants to expose and remove. But He can only do this with my explicit permission.

This is where I am reminded of the instruction from James, the brother of Jesus who wrote:

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)

We typically view this verse as referring to other kinds of trials, but anything that arouses tension and conflict in our hearts is a trial. What is important is that we learn to view trials as opportunities to have the root causes inside our heart that are triggering us in our trial to be healed by God. If we relate to these situations in this way then we will find ourselves engaged in the process described here that produces better faith and more endurance and greater maturity. I believe this is a good parallel to what Paul is referring to in Romans 14.

The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he (violates his internal belief about some issue), because his (action that violates his own conscience) is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin. (Romans 14:22-23)

What I find fascinating here is that Paul seems to be implying that different people can hold very opposing views compared to each other about the same doctrinal issue and yet both parties can be in right relationship with God. What seems to be more important here to God is that we are at peace about it in our own conscience and in our personal accountability to God more than He wants our being technically correct about some divisive issue.

This might seem to open the door to excuse deliberate self-deception when a person chooses to reject truth that is undesirable, but this is not the case. That is another issue that needs to be addressed separately. But that is the excuse that is often used for us to attack others who differ with us. Instead of looking within to see why we feel so defensive and intense about our favorite topic that we desire to champion, we accuse others of insincerity and go on the offensive to force them to come into alignment with our opinions. But this is in direct contradiction to the clear instruction in verse one where we are told to accept others without passing judgment on their opinions.

This is a very hard teaching for many of us. It runs directly across our natural ways of thinking and relating to others. But it is also a revelation of the kindness of God in His dealings with us. If God related to us based on the accuracy of our knowledge about factual and doctrinal truth we would be in a hopeless situation. What I am seeing here is a clearer revelation of the importance of focusing on the heart issues above the external, factual-based issues that we so often use to distinguish ourselves from others.

At the deeper level the real problem that is being exposed here is the deep reservoir of pride that still remains hidden in our hearts and minds. Until our pride is exposed for what it really is we will continue to have great difficulty properly understanding these instructions from the Word of God. True humility will lead to true unity in the body of Christ. And the closer we come to each other at the heart level the more we will be amazed at the ease with which God can correct our doctrinal conflicts and bring us into unity in those areas as well. But if the heart is not open and in the healing process, no amount of doctrinal correctness will prepare us to enter into the unity of spirit that God says is a much greater priority in His estimation.

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.