I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

To Overcome or to be Overcome

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:21)

I want to explore a number of links from this verse to other places in this passage that it will shed light on, particularly in chapter 13. I still believe this is the pivotal verse in this whole section and everything must be seen in the light of this.

To be in subjection to the governing authorities (v. 1) is how to overcome evil with good.

To resist authority (v. 2) is to be overcome by evil.

To oppose the ordinance of God (v. 2) is to be overcome by evil and receive condemnation.

Rulers are a cause of fear for evil behavior (v. 3) – for those who are overcome by evil.

Do what is good and you will have no fear of authority (v. 3) and will overcome evil with good.

Authority is a minister of God to you for good, the overcomer of evil with good (v. 4).

Authority is a minister of God as an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil, the one overcome by evil (v. 4).

To overcome evil with good involves subjection to authority for conscience' sake (v. 5).

Overcoming evil with good involves paying taxes that financially support the authorities who devote themselves to be ministers of God to you for good and as an avengers to those who practice evil (v. 6, 4).

Overcoming evil with good will involve rendering to all what is due them (v. 7).

Being in debt is one way of being overcome by evil (v. 8).

Staying free of debt is one way of overcoming evil with good (v. 8).

Overcoming evil with good is fulfilling the law by loving one another (v. 8).

I find it interesting that the law referred to in this passage is the Ten Commandment Law of God. I would think that it should be a safe assumption that the authorities just referred to are considered, or at least include, law-enforcers. But other than a reference to taxes the only law mentioned here is the Law of God and the phrase, if there is any other commandment. Where does that place the millions of laws, regulations, statutes, codes, edicts, ordinances, rules, decrees, enactments, etc. ad nauseam? Are all of them to be considered in the same position and due the same obligation for obedience as the perfect law of our Creator? And if not, then what is our proper relationship to them?

Again, I am not looking for the platitude answers I have been fed all of my life about this issue. I know them pretty well but they have not satisfied my desire to know the real truth here. Just because some person or group of people decides to dream up yet another new requirement – no matter how petty, self-serving or conflicting it may be – to impose on others does not seem to me to necessarily legitimize their claim to be a God-ordained authority for my life. My real question still lingers, “How do I know what is a legitimate authority that this passage would require me to be in subjection to and what is an illegitimate authority? And I don't think the answer is as easy as most people would like to assume.

But beyond that I also realize that whether or not any given authority trying to assert control over my life is legitimate or not, the most important message of this chapter is the condition of the spirit in my own heart irregardless of what is going on externally. That is the real message that I need to absorb from my study of this passage and is one reason I am spending so much time meditating on it.

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.