I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Overcoming with Submission

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. (Romans 12:21 - 13:1)

Does this imply that governing authorities might be evil? Or does it mean that since there is no authority except from God that governing authorities are good? Just because it says they are established by God it does not naturally follow that they are going to be in harmony with His principles. Does it make any difference what they are – good or bad? Or is this addressing a different issue altogether?

But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. (Matthew 5:39)

Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. (Romans 13:2)

I looked up many references in the Bible that use the Greek word here, krima translated condemnation and I don't believe condemnation is the best English word to convey its meaning. There is another Greek word, katakrima that includes this word but has a prefix with it that conveys the idea of condemnation. This word literally means a negative decision. The more simple word krima is closer to the concept of just a decision but may also include the natural results that occur whenever force and resistance conflict with each other. What seems to describe it in my mind is the idea of intense relational friction.

Condemnation denotes a negative decision whereas the word in this verse does not necessarily mean it is negative. It does seem to mean there is going to be something happen involving a result or decision that may be very undesirable.

I have been intrigued by the statement of Jesus referenced above and have wondered what it really means for many years. I think Jesus may seem to be saying something similar to what I see here in Romans 13 and I think it may help open this up more. Is Jesus implying that if we do resist an evil person that we may suffer even worse than if we don't? Or will we have some other undesirable result that is different in some way than what we are looking at in the immediate situation? Offering to receive even more abuse on the face is not something we would normally think of doing, but is the alternative something far worse?

It seems to me that these two passages are both trying to convey something about the difference between the two versions of reality. God is describing our need to shift our context, our frame of reference, from the artificial reality that we find ourselves in during the circumstances described here, and to view these situations from the perspective of heaven's reality which will cause us to relate to them quite differently than would normally be expected.

I also sense that part of this shift of focus is to get our attention more onto the condition of our spirit instead of the physical abuse and the external unfairness of our immediate circumstances. As I am becoming more and more aware, God is far more concerned with the present condition of my spirit in any given moment than He is with the facts I may or may not believe or the actions that I may or may not perform. All of these external or intellectual things will both contribute to and flow from the choices that I make about my spirit and attitude. But my ability to make correct choices in my spirit will revolve very much around my perceptions about God and how He responds to situations and what His attitudes are toward those who use force and injustice against Him.

I also think it is very important to view this whole passage as under the “heading” of verse 21 from the last chapter. (Remember, there are no artificial chapter breaks in the original.) We will often find ourselves facing evil that is trying to overcome us, particularly attacking our spirit, through abuse, injustice and violence among other things. So Paul is going on here to describe a very different way of overcoming evil through maintaining a spirit of humility and submission quite like that described in the words of Jesus above.

We do not overcome evil through resistance and force as we naturally tend to want to do. That is to give in to temptation, for the very nature of temptation is to reflect back a similar spirit that is directed toward us. We have to adopt very different methods for overcoming evil that focuses much more on the control of our spirit and attitudes far more than the manipulation or management of our externals. And the only way we can ever accomplish this is in a supernatural transformation as described previously in 12:2. Only as we are having our spirit transformed into a reflection of the Spirit of Jesus that is ever-present in our heart can we ever fulfill the things described in these passages.

God, you know this is one of my weakest and most vulnerable areas and I need much grace, instruction and transformation for my life to come into line with these descriptions. It is clearly not something I can do to myself. I cannot transform myself any more than a leopard change his spots, as You put it. But I do give you unlimited permission to do whatever it takes to mentor, train, mold and transform my mind, heart and spirit into a successful witness for You. Give me insights and understanding and a new spirit as I immerse myself in Your Word here. Remove my misunderstandings and prejudices and fears. Clear away the preconceptions and contaminated notions circulating about these passages and reveal Your ways and the true principles that will bring me true freedom and peace. Fill me with Your truth and Your love and Your perspective for Your reputation's sake.

(next in series)

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, for this week we'll be on WiFi in the Knoxville area. Not sure what will show up in your 'visitor's book'.

    ~Linda & Jim

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.