I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Another Look at Resistance

As I have begun to see over the past few years, resistance is the greatest danger to my soul. Resistance in my heart is the fatal ingredient that will cause me pain and ultimate death when all will be exposed to the unveiling of God's glory in the final Day of Judgment.

But letting go of resistance is also the most difficult thing for most of us to do. We may cling to it in very different ways, some very forcefully and others more passively which sometimes masks its true identity, but resistance to the truth about God and acceptance of His ways in our life is part of the core essence of sin.

Sin causes us to believe that we can figure out life better than God can for us. Sin is not always averse to asking God for help to do things as long as the plans are originated in our own minds. This allows us to collect some of the credit if things appear to work out for the good. But it also masks our internal resistance to complete surrender to being led by the Spirit of God. Religion is a good cover for much resistance and provides us a social life that makes resistance in hidden areas of our life acceptable or even encouraged. Because so many people around us are in agreement about out collective beliefs about what is truth then it makes it very easy to resist anything that challenges our assumptions or long-held opinions.

On the other hand, we may be so filled with hidden resistance that we take pride in our independence from what everyone else thinks and bolster our positions by amassing knowledge and complicated arguments based on Scripture or other inspired sources to prove that we are right and everyone who disagrees with us is wrong. We may point to our extended years of education or extensive research on our favorite topic as proof that we are more likely to be correct than those who see things differently. But underlying our insistence of having more accurate truth than those around us is a hidden spirit of resistance that may even be masked under a personality of apparent humility and gentleness. But when probed or challenged that resistance can flash out in anger against those who would dare to challenge our assertions.

I have noticed in others and in myself that even if the position that we are taking may be technically true, that if the spirit is not right and submitted to the sweet Spirit of Jesus, especially when one is feeling attacked, then the effect of having “truth” easily loses it potency because of the negative message delivered by an offended spirit that is contaminated by resistance.

One of the most important verses in the Bible that presents the balance needed for true spirituality, in my opinion anyway, is the comment made by Jesus to the woman at Jacob's well in Samaria.

"But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." (John 4:23-24) It is so easy to believe that we can lean heavily to one side or the other on this issue, but it is never the design of God for us and will endanger the condition of our soul. Ignoring one side or the other will cause damage to our spiritual condition and will create great imbalance, but an imbalance that we are very seldom aware of.

The more my mind becomes aware of the existence of resistance within me the more alarmed I am at how much there must be. And I suspect I am only looking at the tip of an iceberg of what may be lurking underneath. But at the same time I am glad that God is showing it to me for it is only in the light of His presence that I can see anything that needs to be addressed in my heart.

This morning as I opened my Bible to again see what the Spirit wants to show me from this passage that I have been studying for so long, this issue of resistance and its link to evil seemed to jump out at me. That is no surprise given how much I must have inside, but I wanted to look for parallel verses that might help me understand it better and assist me in being more aware or give me more clues as to how to let go of this resistance. What came to my attention was again the last verse in chapter twelve about being overcome or overcoming evil. This is very closely linked with resistance as I am noticing.

Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. (Rom. 12:17)

See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people. (1Thess. 5:15)

Not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing. (1Peter 3:9)

As I looked further in 1 Peter I found another passage that fits very well into this. ... all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. (1 Peter 5:5-7)

True humility is in essence letting go of all resistance. On the other hand, pride is another word for resistance. As I look over these various verses together – and there are certainly many more that could be included – I see more clearly a pattern of thinking and spirit that is needed when relating to authorities. And the bottom line is how much resistance is still within my heart.

Evil treatment by authorities is one of the quickest ways to expose resistance at the heart level. Some authorities seem to specialize in drawing out hidden resistance and then attempting to crush it by any means possible. This is the spirit of Satan's kingdom and is normal given the source. But it is also the same spirit that is resident in our own sinful flesh and infects every human being living on this planet.

There is an example that I must look to to learn how to respond to evil, whether from authorities or otherwise. It is an example not just intellectually but much more one that is meant to mentor my right brain. For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, WHO COMMITTED NO SIN, NOR WAS ANY DECEIT FOUND IN HIS MOUTH; and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously; and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed. (1 Peter 2:21-24)

Salvation is the healing process whereby I am offered the opportunity to become free from this fatal disease of resistance in my heart. It is interesting to note that Paul declares that authorities are ministers of God to us. That is not to say that they can bring us healing or salvation, but they act as a means to expose our hearts to see how much resistance is still resident there. If I have an intense reaction to abusive authority and become angry then I am alerted that there is still a good deal of resistance that needs to be faced, uncovered and released by the healing work of the Holy Spirit. If God uses authorities to expose my faults I should not become resentful for being thus exposed but need to recognize that I still have pride and resistance that God desires to replace with the true humility of love and compassion.

The more I am healed of resistance the easier it will be for me to access the vision of heaven and perceive differently those who seem to be persecuting or attacking me. The more resistance I cling to or refuse to acknowledge in my heart the more defensive I will be which usually demonstrates itself by blaming others for my problems. Of course this is much easier to observe in other people's experience than in myself. But if I am willing and humble God is faithful to help me see my own fault's and will always have a means of bringing about the needed healing.

Having said all of this, I am intensely aware that it has been about 90% left-brain understanding and explanations. That is not all bad, but it is certainly nowhere near enough to be really effective and life-changing. My heart has been listening while I have been writing all of this and is feeling a little apprehensive as to the implications of what I am saying. In addition my flesh is trying to discount some of these things in its desire to maintain control over my life. I guess that all in all I am not completely congruent.

But I am glad to remind myself that it is God's work to heal me, to reveal my faults to me in ways that encourage me to come to Him for help, and it is not my job to figure out how to fix myself. The Word of God is indeed like a two-edged sword exposing what is at the deepest levels of my soul. And it is the job of the God of the Word to then accomplish the transformation that only He can do as I give Him permission and access to my heart. My part is to cooperate and choose to quit resisting His work in me.

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.