I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Poison of Bitterness

See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled. (Hebrews 12:15)

See to it – is this for ourselves or for us to help others around us?

Comes short of the grace – the original meaning of grace is being set up with everything one needs for an abundant and successful life. Coming short of grace then would be failing to receive and utilize that provision. Coming short is also the definition from the Greek word for sin.

Root... springing up – the opposite of pursuing peace and sanctification or a result of trying for those things but stopping short.

Causes trouble – bitterness always causes trouble, not only for the bitter person but for those who become infected around them. It has to do with our sphere of influence. I looked up the word defiled. The Greek word means to crowd in or annoy. That reminds me of the parable of the sower and the weeds that crowd the good plants and starve them out.

See to it – literally to beware, take the oversight. This is implied here as another instruction parallel to not coming short of grace.

Roots of bitterness are the enemy of peace with men and with God. Roots of bitterness if not dealt with will undo everything God is trying to accomplish in our life both with others and with Him. Roots of bitterness not only create trouble and poison but they grow and they spring up. This implies that the roots are lying latent in the ground of our hearts unnoticed but still connected to the soil and alive. Given opportunity they spring to life and produce visible shoots that can quickly grow into very troublesome weeds or poisonous plants. I wonder if bitter roots are what grows poison ivy? Is my bitterness like beautiful green poison ivy leaves that create trouble in the lives of anyone who touches me? I hate poison ivy and similar such plants, I have all of my life. But I never dreamed that maybe my effect on people around me was similar to the effect of poison ivy on me whenever I happen to brush against it. God deliver me from bitter roots today.

One of the things that is so despicable about getting a case of poison ivy, at least for certain people, is the ugliness that it produces on someone's beautiful skin. Of course that is not the reason I dislike it so much for myself, but for someone who has enough beauty to draw attention naturally to themselves it can be a very humiliating experience. Likewise, the poison of bitterness can deface and mar the beauty, not only in our own life but in how we perceive others and even God. Poison is the enemy of beauty and glory.

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.