I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Assembling Sanctification

See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled. (Hebrews 12:15)

Causes trouble, or trouble you. The original means to crowd in, annoy.

Defiled. To sully, taint, contaminate.

This verse is describing what appears to be the opposite of sanctification from the previous verse. It is distraction as opposed to becoming single-minded and devoted. It is being annoyed much of the time instead of being at peace. It is being defiled instead of being purified. It is being sullied instead of shined. It is contamination instead of cleansing. It is being tainted by sin instead of producing the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

Let me look back over the passages I have been studying for the last several weeks to see what is involved in this thing called sanctification. What do I find here in the context that may explain what would be seen in a life being sanctified?

In chapter eleven there are many descriptions of people who were being sanctified. Many of their experiences were very exciting and many were things that most of us would not want to happen to us. But the chapter ends up on a note relating that God intends there to be many people somehow bonded together in this process. Chapter twelve talks about this great cloud of witnesses surrounding us. That certainly implies a group mentality, not an individualistic concept of religion.

Then I see a number of phrases that are likely to be seen in one being sanctified.

Lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us.

Running the race set before us with endurance.

Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.

Considering Him who has endured so that we will not grow weary and lose heart.

Resisting and striving against sin.

Remembering the exhortation which is addressed to us as sons about discipline.

Becoming subject to the Father of spirits and receiving life.

Accepting discipline for our good and sharing in His holiness.

Having the peaceful fruit of righteousness become evident in our lives.

Strengthening or lifting our hands and our knees that are feeble.

Making our paths straiter and more level and being healed.

Pursuing peace with all men.

Pursuing sanctification so that we will see God.

Going all the way to accept the grace of God in order to eliminate all roots of bitterness.

These are the things that I have seen so far in this chapter. I was led to this passage several weeks ago to be taught and mentored by my heavenly Father about dealing with my own roots of bitterness. He has been teaching me every day, not only in my exposure to His word here but during the day in my experiences and impressions from His Spirit in various circumstances. I know there is still much more to come, but so far it has been a very rewarding experience for me.

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.