I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Expedient for You

...it is expedient for you that one man die for the people, and that the whole nation not perish. (John 11:50)

Expedient: conducive to advantage or interest, as opposed to right. (dictionary.com)

As a person allows their choices to move away from compliance with God's moral principles toward seeking advantages for themselves, the result will always be a life of expediency. Sooner or later people will compromise the principles of truth, honesty, justice and what is right and will become willing to sacrifice someone else's well-being in exchange for their own interests. The example of these religious leaders is a classic case of this very truth.

I believe that up to this point many of these priests and leaders had been trying to maintain some semblance of righteousness, a reputation for obeying the commandments of God. Even after this turning point in their lives they still tried to keep up an outward appearance that they were following God's laws, but in their hearts they had turned away from God and had embraced their own agenda in place of God's will. They had fully chosen a dark master and their lives from that point on became controlled by the prince of darkness as their reason became more insane. Later stories about these men reveal that they had lost their ability to think clearly, to act from principle rather than lust and their behavior became more and more bizarre.

I notice the emphasis by Caiaphas here on selfishness. The expediency was for themselves, not for the benefit of anyone else. And the very presence of the idea of giving preference to expediency over principle betrays the true spirit and motives of these men as being evil. As soon as I begin to use expediency as my preferred method for making decisions I am on the road toward ruin and moral disaster. Expediency may feel good and may bring advantages in the short term, but living for myself at the expense of others will result in destroying my own soul as well as harming many around me.

Even worse is the fact that this suggestion came from the highest official and most influential religious leader in a nation chosen by God to be His representatives on this earth. Spiritual leaders, far from being exempt from accountability are the most responsible for the influence they exert on others around them. They are also higher profile targets of the enemy of souls for he knows that if he can capture their hearts with selfishness that he can access many others more easily through their diabolical influence.

Caiaphas was a corrupt man who had used the system and politics to secure the lucrative position of high priest through fraud, deception and manipulation. He was willing to stop at nothing to keep his political position of power in the country and was ready to resort to murder if need be to maintain the status quo. We recoil in horror when we see people willing to stoop to such degradation of character striving for supremacy and willing to compromise truth for personal advantage. Yet these same motives lie in each one of our hearts ready to spring into action whenever circumstances create a good opportunity for self-promotion. Infected by sin, every one of us is liable to exploit others for our own advantage just as these men had finally become willing to do.

Father, sometimes I catch a glimpse of how selfish my own heart really is and I shudder in horror at what I might do if push came to shove. I begin to realize more clearly how much I need your grace, your restraining power to prevent me from following the example of these men who were so willing to exchange your life for their own advantage. What they didn't realize was that in choosing to turn all their animosity against you they were exposing the true nature of sin for all the universe to recoil from in disgust and horror for all eternity. Help me to grasp the reality of the diabolical power of sin to turn my own heart away from your grace and help me to keep close to you for my own protection. Make me willing to die to self and sinful desires rather than participate in the spirit of these men who preferred subjecting you to torture rather than suffer potential loss of their own comfort and prestige.

Father, put your spirit in me to counteract and dispel the spirit of death that presently dwells in me. Win the battle for my own soul and draw me to keep myself in your presence for safety's sake. Honor your reputation by finishing your experiment of grace that transforms my life to reflect the life of Jesus rather than the example of these self-serving men. I submit to your authority because trusting in your goodness is the only option that really makes sense. I am designed to thrive in your love so help me to remain conscious of your love every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.