I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Friday, April 17, 2009

What's Wrong with Amazement?

Do not be amazed that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' (John 3:7)

So this question comes to my mind when I read this verse, Why did Jesus tell Nicodemus to not be amazed or to marvel? What is it about this word or the implications surrounding it that is something we are not supposed to do in certain situations?

I looked up this word in Greek and then followed each time it was used throughout the New Testament. What I discovered were some very interesting applications, especially when we are instructed not to do it or are warned about it. Here is Strong's definition of this word along with some ways it is translated.

To wonder; by implication, to admire:– admire, have in admiration, marvel, wonder, surprise, astonished.

Many times this word is used to describe people's reaction to the miracles or the words and wisdom of Jesus. It is sometimes even used to describe Jesus' reaction to certain situations. But what interested me was when it was used in close association with the issue of belief. Notice especially when Jesus experienced this emotion.

Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following, "Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel. (Matthew 8:10)

Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled at him, and turned and said to the crowd that was following Him, "I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such great faith." (Luke 7:9)

And He wondered at their unbelief. And He was going around the villages teaching. (Mark 6:6)

It has long intrigued me that something could amaze Jesus. And the only places that I find record of that is when either someone had unusual displays of faith or when the majority of people seemed so devoid of faith that it prevented Him from conveying the blessing to them that He desired to do.

The following texts are grouped around instructions or comments that seem to warn of something.

Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, (John 5:28)

Do not be surprised, brethren, if the world hates you. (1 John 3:13)

But when Peter saw this, he replied to the people, "Men of Israel, why are you amazed at this, or why do you gaze at us, as if by our own power or piety we had made him walk? (Acts 3:12)

Then there is this interesting twist using a command to be amazed in relationship to belief.

Beware, therefore, that what the prophets said does not happen to you: 'Look, you scoffers! Be amazed and perish, for in your days I am doing a work, a work that you will never believe, even if someone tells you.'" (Acts 13:40-41 NRSV)

The following verses actually have this Greek word doubled in the original which is always done for great emphasis. The effect is largely lost when translated into English.

Jesus answered them, "I did one deed, and you all marvel." (John 7:21)

I saw one of his heads as if it had been slain, and his fatal wound was healed. And the whole earth was amazed and followed after the beast; (Revelation 13:3)

And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. When I saw her, I wondered greatly. And the angel said to me, "Why do you wonder? I will tell you the mystery of the woman and of the beast that carries her, which has the seven heads and the ten horns. "The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to come up out of the abyss and go to destruction. And those who dwell on the earth, whose name has not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, will wonder when they see the beast, that he was and is not and will come. (Revelation 17:6-8)

Now here are some texts where people were amazed at Jesus in ways other than just for a miracle He had performed.

When the Pharisee saw it, he was surprised that He had not first ceremonially washed before the meal. (Luke 11:38)

While they still could not believe it because of their joy and amazement, He said to them, "Have you anything here to eat?" (Luke 24:41)

At this point His disciples came, and they were amazed that He had been speaking with a woman, yet no one said, "What do You seek?" or, "Why do You speak with her?" (John 4:27)

For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself is doing; and the Father will show Him greater works than these, so that you will marvel. (John 5:20)

This next verse includes the element of fear which also is often related to amazement.

And He said to them, "Where is your faith?" They were fearful and amazed, saying to one another, "Who then is this, that He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey Him?" (Luke 8:25)

We humans have this inherent assumption that miracles will somehow cause us to believe. We are often very excited and even addicted to the ideas of miracles sometimes and quite often pray for miracles to happen in our own lives or with those around us. That is not necessarily wrong, but I have noticed that there seems to be a subtle deceptive power often linked with amazement and miracles that God tries to warn us about. It is simply not true – even though it feels like it should be true – that genuine belief and faith will naturally spring up in reaction to stunning miracles.

I have experienced this strange twist of logic in my own life on a number of occasions. I can distinctly recall the sensation and even frustration inside emotionally whenever it became clear to me that God had answered some prayer, even in a dramatic way in my life; but upon examining my heart at that moment I realized that the faith that I expected to see springing up had suddenly become full of questions and rationalizations. I realized then that there was a foreign voice inside of me that was quick to offer up reasons why maybe this wasn't really a miracle after all or maybe it was just a coincidence or maybe....

It is at those times that I am reminded of my fallen nature that will never acknowledge the truth about God and His power in my life. Another lie that I have noticed inside of me is a hope that maybe given enough miracles and proof that my fallen nature will finally admit that God is right and change its opinion. But upon reflection I realize that is never going to happen.

Faith then becomes a choice that I have to make that is not dependent on irrefutable evidence. There are very many examples in history of those who failed to believe even in the face of overwhelming miracles and providences of God. Faith is not the by-product of miracles but is a choice to believe the truth about God in the face of everything insisting the opposite.

As I have spent time contemplating this I feel that I am just beginning to perceive this important link between amazement and belief. I realize that Jesus warns us to not be so keen on wanting things to marvel at as crutches for our faith. In fact, marveling and amazement may actually become a substitute for faith which may be why God warned Nicodemus about getting sidetracked into this mode of feeling and thinking.

Marvel and amazement may often actually become obstacles to faith. Wow! What does that say about our incessant desires for miracles in our lives and churches? But if we look at the history of salvation all along it can be seen repeatedly that faith and belief often had to thrive in the absence of miracles and even emotions of amazement many times. And often miracles are used to attract people away from the real truth about God instead of confirming it.

Yes, there are going to be plenty of opportunities for amazement and marvel when God unexpectedly shows up. We will be repeatedly amazed as God moves in hearts and performs wonders in response to our requests of faith. But when it comes to securing the foundation for faith it appears to me, at this point anyway, that amazement and even miracles are the wrong things to depend on as a stable footing on which to build our house.

Do not be amazed that I said to you... Evidently amazement can sometimes get in the way of really listening to what God has to say to our heart. When our emotions get so caught up in the external power of God and demonstrations of the supernatural, it can prevent our heart from hearing the still, small voice of God to our souls. Elijah had to learn that in his retraining exercise on the mountain and it is a lesson that has to be repeated again and again in all of our lives.

Belief is more important than amazement.

As I think about this I realize that amazement and wonder are things that tend to happen to us, that are induced in our emotions by external exhibitions of power or stunning performances. On the other hand, true belief and faith involve choices that we must make with or without the aid of evidences of God's glory and presence. Since true religion is both heart-based and intellectually rooted in truth, faith that bonds us to God's heart will require ongoing choices to continue to respond to the drawing of Jesus. Sometimes that will be easy in the light of glorious and exciting miracles and other times it may be excruciating when everything seems to scream that God is far away and has forgotten us. But faith, hope and love are the precious stones upon which we must build our experience if we are to be prepared to live in God's presence. And cultivating those things in our lives will require paying attention to what God is saying no matter how amazed we feel or how dull life appears.

God, I really enjoy being amazed like most people do. But thank-you for reminding me that there are even more important things to pay attention to. That does not mean that it's always wrong to be amazed, it just means that I must be careful not to depend on those kinds of feelings to be the basis of my relationship with You. Fill me with Your love and surround me with Your presence today to bring glory and honor to Your reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.