I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Heart of Nicodemus

...this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him." (John 3:2)

The one verse is giving me a lot of clues about various subjects and issues presented in the surrounding context.

This man links Nicodemus with the discussion about how Jesus related to men found in 2:23-25.

Coming by night implies a lot about the feelings and fears of Nicodemus and his concern for what other leaders and people might think about him. It also provided a time when they could speak together privately without interference from others seeking to be around Jesus.

Rabbi reveals a little bit about Nicodemus and his thoughts about Jesus. It was certainly a respectful title and even a compliment bestowed on a quite young and seemingly aspiring new teacher. But on the other hand it also exposes a lack of understanding on the part of Nicodemus as to the true nature of Jesus and His real identity. But we must be very careful to not be harsh in our judgment of Nicodemus on this point for we all struggle to believe the real truth about Jesus just as everyone else did when relating to Him personally when He was here on earth. We must remember that there was very little known history and information about Jesus available for the public at this point in His ministry.

We know... This is a very telling word by which Nicodemus identifies himself with the other leaders of the Jews. Nicodemus, I believe, was thinking strategically by initiating this clandestine encounter with Jesus early on in His ministry. Nicodemus may have really taken a liking to Jesus from a distance and was becoming very concerned that things were suddenly taking a wrong turn that would unduly prejudice other leaders against Jesus and damage His reputation. I am sure that Nicodemus must have felt that he might be able to effect some diplomacy behind the scenes and so he wanted to set up precursors for a potentially wider dialogue in the future to repair some of the damage caused by the recent events in the temple.

You have come from God as a teacher. I am not ready to come down dogmatically on just what this may really mean. I know there is a lot of discussion and opinions about what it means and many of them very well may be accurate. But I think there is room here for multiple understandings that may even overlap. If we are truly honest, most of us can admit that we often have mixed feelings and motives for the things we say and Nicodemus was no exception.

Christians today often make this phrase an opportunity to criticize Nicodemus for calling Jesus only a teacher and not the Son of God. But again, remember that there was still very little to go on at this point in Jesus' ministry to form opinions about His true identity, and from that perspective Nicodemus was actually going much farther than even some of His own disciples may have been ready to do. Very clearly it is in fact true that Jesus was a teacher, for that is what He did much of the time. So we should not rush to judgment in condemning Nicodemus for stating the obvious.

What I do find more curious is the fact that Nicodemus states that we know you are a teacher sent from God. This strongly implies that Nicodemus either directly knew or strongly believed that he was not the only leader who had this opinion about Jesus. It also may be seen that he might have been including many of the common people and their feelings about Jesus, but I think it may apply more to the leadership of the Jews from Nicodemus' perspective.

No one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him. This seems clear to me that Nicodemus is again stating the obvious in some respects. In addition he is also using this as a means of beginning what he hopes can be constructive dialogue for diplomacy. This is one of the hallmarks of effective diplomacy; to establish mutual trust and respect through affirmation and by seeking to use compliments and by attempting to view situations from both sides.

Again, I sense that Nicodemus may have been expressing multiple feelings on his own part. While I fully believe that he was coming to initiate diplomatic dialogue with Jesus which might be seen as more on a professional level, I also believe that Nicodemus felt some of the magnetism of Jesus in his own heart and was drawn to come into closer proximity with this strange new person that had suddenly appeared on the public scene. I believe that he sensed that there might be more to Jesus than what he had seen in public and he wanted to have a chance to explore and test for himself what might be learned about this complex and baffling young teacher.

I really wonder what made the difference between Nicodemus and many of the other leaders who ended up repeatedly rejecting Jesus? It seems clear at the end of the story after Jesus' crucifixion that Nicodemus decided to fully take sides with Jesus against all odds and at the expense of his own career. But between those two points in time there is almost nothing known about how Nicodemus was thinking except for a few interventions that he effected on Jesus' behalf during some of the councils of the ruling body of the Jews determined to destroy Jesus.

But as I meditate on this passage it seems clear to me that Jesus saw very clearly the heart of Nicodemus and understood that he was being drawn to Jesus emotionally but afraid to be fully transparent at this point. As usual, Jesus responded more to the real heart conversation that was not so obvious in the external words. Whenever Jesus sensed people being drawn to Him by His Father He always spoke to the internal desires in their heart that were usually obscured by the external words and actions. This is why Jesus was so amazingly successful in touching the lives of so many people while at the same time baffling us as to the seeming disconnect between people's questions and His answers.

The closer I come to Jesus and the more in tune I am with His Spirit, the easier it is going to be for me to hear the quiet messages of the Spirit informing me of what is really being said when people talk with me instead of hearing only the external words which may have nothing at all to do with what they want. This is nothing new to me, for I have often done this very same thing with others. My own heart was desperately crying out for understanding and recognition of deep pain or frustration, but I was too afraid to express my real feelings. Instead, I would offer some external discussion in hopes that someone would look past my words and seek to take me to the much deeper pain in my heart that was overwhelming me.

When I am listening to others, it is also sometimes just difficult to avoid the triggers that often distract my heart from really listening to their unspoken conversations and heart-cries. Whenever an unresolved pain of my own gets triggered by words or actions from others, my own prejudices and fears usually fill my consciousness to the exclusion of being able to listen to the still, small voice that is seeking to guide me in a very different direction.

I certainly want to learn the skill of listening better and perceiving more accurately the real messages that come to me from others as Jesus always was able to do. But I realize very well that this is far more than just a learned skill. It requires inner healing from the things that block me from being able to listen effectively and care for others from my heart. Until my own heart experiences true healing and more freedom from my own triggers, I will continue to be prevented from really appreciating the true feelings and needs of others or have much of anything to offer them for relief.

But as Jesus becomes more permanent in living in my own heart and healing my own pain, I will be more available to be a channel of blessing, life and true nurture to others who need His ministry. I can then become a more active agent of grace and will more quickly introduce others who are hurting to the One who knows how to fix every problem and heal every pain. I can become a co-worker with Christ as He seeks to draw all men unto Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.