I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Conclusion - 4 The Mystery

... according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret for long ages past, but now is manifested.... (Romans 16:25-26)

Part of the ways listed here by which God is going to settle me into the truth about Him is by the revelation of the mystery. To talk about the mystery is almost problematic to start with, for to explain a mystery is to assume that one already understands the mystery themselves. That is a very tricky proposition in my opinion.

On the other hand, Paul in various places makes it quite clear that he believed he understood what this mystery was as had devoted his life to sharing it with anyone who would listen. He said that this mystery had been personally revealed to him by God and therefore by implication he was capable of unveiling it for others.

I do not doubt that Paul had a good grasp of what was contained in the mystery that he refers to in a number of his letters. He talks the most about it in the letter to the Ephesians and also some in Colossians. I have spent some time studying Ephesians with other people at times that were very intense and tremendously enlightening. And what I learned in those times of revelation and amazement was that the mystery is far deeper and bigger than anyone usually ever imagines. As a result I have great suspicion about those who flippantly attempt to toss out simplistic ideas as to what this mystery is that Paul refers to in this passage.

But I believe that one reason this good news is such a mystery to us is not because God is trying to hide it from us but because of the preconditions in our own thinking that preclude us from believing many of the things necessary to comprehend this mystery. This verse says that this mystery has been kept secret for long ages past. But it does not say that God hid it through long ages past. I don't believe that God deliberately hides truth from people who are willing to be open to receiving it. Jesus stated that He Himself was the truth and He spent His whole life trying to get people to know Him and by extension to really know the Father.

The truth about the mystery of God is revealed more and more as we come to accept the real truth as it is revealed in the attitudes and actions of Jesus who came to reveal how God really feels about us. The greatest obstacle to absorbing the content of this mystery is not its unavailability but is a spirit of unbelief. I have observed this more and more over the past few years, both in others and in my own heart. I am becoming more aware and convicted that it is my resistance to believing what God reveals to me about Himself that is the greatest hindrance preventing me from entering into the mystery and experiencing the awe and joy of that mystery. This resistance is what the Bible calls unbelief. I see it in myself and I see it displayed in the attitudes of most people around me.

Paul here declares that though this mystery has indeed been kept secret for long ages past for whatever reasons, it is now manifested. So there is no excuse not to find out for ourselves what this mystery is if we truly desire to know it. But it will take far more than just an intellectual curiosity to be able to know what this mystery contains. I am convinced that until the heart is warmed by the Spirit of God and the soul becomes intensely hungry to know the real truth about God, the mind will be incapable of coming up with a valid explanation of what constitutes the real essence of this mystery.

As I keep looking at this passage to see clues as to how to know more about this mystery, I notice that the mystery is manifested partly through the other elements listed in this text.

  • The mystery will be perceived by listening to the gospel as Paul understood it.
  • The mystery will be heard in authentic preaching of Jesus Christ.
  • The mystery will be found in an honest search of the Scriptures and by paying attention to the prophets. And I believe that this is not necessarily restricted to prophets published only in the Old Testament.
  • And finally in this list, the mystery is manifested because the eternal God has commanded it to be manifested so that it will be made known to all the nations on earth.

The purpose for the revelation of this mystery is made clear at the end of verse 26. It says here that the result of the manifestation of this mystery leads to obedience of faith. That implies that there might be some other kind of obedience that is not of faith. Of course that is something of an oxymoron, for the Bible declares that whatever is not of faith is sin. But there is a pseudo-obedience that many people believe is real obedience that is not of faith but from self-effort. And it is likely the prevalence of this confusion about obedience based on false assumptions that has kept the truth in this mystery veiled for so many long ages.

So, just what is this mystery that Paul declares here has been manifested?

I am not going to attempt a detailed explanation of what is in this mystery, for to do so would be to assume that I understand it well which I am not ready to claim. But I do believe that God has been in the process of slowly revealing it more and more to me over the past few years as my heart has been more open to receive from Him. And all of these elements listed in this passage have had a part in revealing to my heart and mind the true nature of what is likely contained in this mystery.

  • My increasing awareness of the truly positive nature of what is called the good news, the gospel.
  • The reception of occasional but refreshing authentic presentations by others of the real truths about Jesus Christ.
  • A more intense and deliberate and careful personal examination of the Bible which contains far more than I ever dreamed possible most of my life.
  • And most importantly, personal revelations by the Spirit to my heart and mind as I allow all of these influences to affect and transform my perceptions about God. Through the will of God – His commandment – the revelation of this mystery is slowly becoming a reality in my own life as I let go of more and more of my resistance and unbelief.

As I did a search on this word mystery with my Bible software, I found it interesting that the only reference to the word mystery in the Old Testament is in the book of Daniel. But then I also noticed that the first reference to this word in the New Testament is the words of Jesus to His disciples telling them that He was revealing this mystery to them because they were His followers. (Mark 4:11)

From the texts that I observed in this short research, the most clear and concise explanations as to the content of this mystery are two places found in Colossians. The first one comes from a passage that very closely parallels this one in Romans. But I will only quote the final punch line, so to speak.

...God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. (Colossians 1:27)

The second text reinforces the truth found in this first one.

...that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself. (Colossians 2:2)

Father, fill my mind and heart with a fresh infusion of the reality of Your mystery. Encourage my heart, knit my heart together with Yours and with the hearts of Your children in love. Cause me to attain to and make use of all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding so that I may experience the result of knowing Your mystery – Christ Himself. Thank-you for knowing my heart, for accepting my prayers and for revealing more about Your mystery to me this morning.

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.