I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bearing the Burdens

Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves. (Romans 15:1)

I looked up some of the Greek words in this verse to see what I might find to help me understand this better and I found something rather interesting. The word used for bear means to lift up, remove, sustain, take up. What is interesting is that the word used for please has a somewhat similar meaning. It conveys the idea of lifting up our emotions, to be agreeable, to sail away emotionally.

I also noticed that the very same word is used to describe the person who is weak here as was used in verse one of the previous chapter. In reality there is no break in the continuation of thought like that artificially created by this chapter break which is often the case. Paul is still directly addressing the issue of our attitudes and relationship to those in the body of Christ who are at a different level emotionally in their relationship with God than we are.

In contrast to the judgment and contempt that we are warned against indulging in in the previous chapter, here we are told what the alternative should be. Along with accepting them (14:1) we are to give them preference with our emotional strength over pleasing ourselves. Instead of indulging in the legitimate freedoms that cause our own feelings to be excited and feel more free, when we are in the presence of those who are offended and hurt by our choices because of their own immaturity in faith, we should be considerate, gentle and kind in our thoughtfulness for their sensitivities and fears.

This reminds me of a medical analogy that might fit well here. Normally in our physical contact with those around us we might not think much of holding a person's hand or arm or laying our hand on their shoulder in a gesture of affection. But if that person has experienced serious burns and their skin is raw and extremely sensitive it would be the height of inconsideration to touch or grab them in ways that otherwise we might not think anything of. To do so would induce extreme pain and even sometimes cause worse damage than what they had already experienced. Instead we must learn how to treat them with the utmost gentleness, not because they are a bad person or have some character flaw but because they are in a very vulnerable state and need time for healing.

It only makes sense that when dealing with a person who has experienced serious burns on their body we should treat them with the utmost care and sensitivity. But part of the reason for doing so is not just to avoid creating unnecessary further trauma but to assist them toward recovery so that they can once again enjoy the comfort and excitement of being touched and held by those who love them after they are healed.

So too, we should see the person who is weak in faith not as someone who is inferior to us or who is wrong and needs stern correction but someone who has been burned by the effects of sin and is very sensitive in ways that we may not be. This does not make them any less a child of God or an inferior part of the body of Christ. It makes them a sibling in need of careful attention and extra consideration with an eye to helping them heal and be recovered to a condition of more health and joy.

If we would view people who are weak in faith, not as targets to re-shape or coerce into reflecting our own opinions or to convince of our personal ideas and convictions, but people who are potential close friends who right now are suffering from emotional burns and are in need of delicate care until the healing process is more complete; if we would choose to look at them through God's eyes in this way it might be far easier to be patient and kind with them and to look forward to what they will look like when they are healed more fully.

This verse is actually highlighting the core problem of sin in the hearts of each one of us. When I choose to prefer my own spiritual and emotional pleasure and excitement above the need for me to consider the effects of my actions on someone who is hypersensitive and “burned” about that issue, then I am really indulging my selfishness and pride at their expense instead of being led by God's Spirit of gentleness and kindness.

Remember, it is the kindness of God that leads us to repentance (2:4). And if I allow that kind, gentle, patient Spirit to be seen in my relationship to a person who is over-sensitive right now with a view to helping them move toward a more confident relationship with Jesus in their own heart, then I might be able to become a channel of the kindness of God toward them that will draw them to repentance, to more release of their unfounded fears and I can be a source of joy (being willing to be happy to be with them in their immature state) for them. As I help increase their joy capacity by my willingness to accept them in their fears and gently show them how to return to a state of joy themselves from whatever is frightening them in the present, then we will become bonded more closely in our hearts both to each other and to the heart of Jesus.

What I see in this verse is that as a follower of Jesus I need to learn to imitate His example of extreme sensitivity and gentleness with all of us. As I consider the implications of this verse I realize how much I need others to be obedient to these instructions in their dealings with me. I know that there are areas of my belief or emotions where I long to experience more freedom and joy but am still bound by chains of tradition and inhibition. Those who know me very well (I'm not sure who that might be) will recognize that there are things that might bother me but at the same time that I long to be more free to enjoy. Instead of being forced into those things I need to be gently eased into facing my fears and to have someone join me in that exercise with great sensitivity to my raw emotions and fears. Gentleness is far more powerful than we might imagine and gentleness is a sign of true greatness.

Behold, My Servant, whom I uphold; My chosen one in whom My soul delights. I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the nations. He will not cry out or raise His voice, nor make His voice heard in the street. A bruised reed He will not break and a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish; He will faithfully bring forth justice. (Isaiah 42:1-3)

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.