I am currently delving into a deeper understanding of the true meaning of the cross of Christ, how it relates to salvation and how it reveals God's heart.

Friday, August 1, 2008

Fully Convinced

Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. (Romans 14:5)

What does this really mean? I know what comes up in my mind as a reaction whenever I read this but that many times clouds my ability to perceive clearly what the real meaning is that God wants me to see. I think I know some of the things it doesn't mean but why did Paul write this in this context?

There are two kinds of people, no, three, talked about here. There are people who are critical and fault-finding who tend to look down with contempt on others who have different opinions about certain spiritual issues. Then there are those who are on the receiving end of that activity which, in turn can cause them to either become discouraged or maybe defensive and judgmental themselves. Verse three indicates that these people may judge those who are viewing them with contempt which is pretty much the same thing as what the other group is doing.

The third group are those who learn from this instruction and cease from judging others or viewing them with contempt. They are those who align themselves more closely with the way God perceives reality and live in the context of an ever-present awareness of a coming day of judgment before God. They also live with an attitude of gratitude and thanks no matter what their beliefs are or how they differ from others in the body. They measure everything through the context of remembering that they are individually accountable to God and everything they do, say or even think will someday be fully exposed without anything hidden any longer. They live with God as their master and Lord exclusively and seek to align their lives and hearts to worship and praise Him. They live with a determination to do nothing that might cause someone else to stumble in their walk with God.

I find it interesting what is written here in regard to the judgment day of God. So often people have a terrible sense of foreboding whenever judgment is mentioned and especially the Great Judgment Day. It is most often used to intimidate people into joining a church or to motivate them to repent in fear and comply with a long list of religious rules. But most of that kind of thinking is far more reflective of the false version of judgment than what is really going to happen on judgment day. What I see in verses 10-13 is a far more accurate presentation of true judgment than the distorted concepts promoted by many religions in the world. But it is important to remember that there is no force involved in this outcome.

But what does this have to do with being fully persuaded or convinced in my own mind?

One thing that comes to mind is that being fully convinced would seem to be the very opposite of being double-minded as described in James 1:5-8. And as I look at the surrounding verses in James I notice a similar equalizing of self-perceptions recommended for people who have very different circumstances in this world. How does this feed into the need for me to be fully convinced in my own mind? The more I look at James 1 the more I see applications between these two chapters that may strongly complement each other.

What is it that I am to be fully convinced about? Is it about myself, about others whom I am tempted to judge or view with contempt, or is it my opinions about hot-button issues in which I disagree with others? I know that many people read this text to mean that they need to redouble their efforts to entrench themselves even stronger in their prejudices and religious opinions and amass even more proof that they are “right” so that no one can refute their iron-clad arguments. But is that really what being fully convinced means in this context?

Does this phrase imply that there is more than one way to relate to God or more than one set of beliefs that a person may choose from and still be accepted by God? Now that is a real argument starter for many people I know. That runs head-on into some pretty deeply-entrenched paradigms on both sides that many are completely unwilling to even question. I'm not saying whether this is true or false at this point, but is this really what Paul is trying to say here? Is being fully convinced the same as being deeply entrenched and stubborn? Or is he saying something much more significant that is easy to miss in our rush to use these verses to justify our preferred opinions?

Paul uses, by way of illustration, two hot-button issues that were generators of a lot of heat and arguing in the early Christian churches but which now are so far removed from our thinking that we barely can even understand what he was referring to. As a result we bring our own issues and prejudices to the passage and deduce that he must have been talking about vegetarianism or maybe implying that the seventh-day Sabbath no longer needs to be observed as many like to imply.

But we draw these conclusions partly because we fail to perceive the main point of this passage and because it seems so convenient to weave them into our preferred opinions. These topics were not the real issues Paul was trying to address here but were simply illustrations of situations in which people are affected by potential bitterness and prejudice in their relationships with each other within the body of Christ. Our topics of conflict likely will be something completely different but the problematic attitudes will be identical with those he was addressing in this passage.

Somehow I don't believe that being fully convinced of our opinions is necessarily the solution that Paul is recommending here, though many may want to draw that conclusion. Entrenching ourselves deeper into divisive topics of conflict will not likely bring about the unity that Jesus desires for His body on earth and will not prepare us for the judgment day. Again, I am brought back to remember that the far more important issue at stake in the true judgment process is the spirit and attitude that I cherish in my heart and relationships far more than the religious opinions that I cling to. And while my religious beliefs are not unimportant by any means, if my spirit is not right then no amount of factual correctness is going to prepare me to be found on the right side on judgment day.

I still don't have a clear answer about what being fully convinced really means, but that is not necessary right now. I don't want to insist on simplistic or quick answers to all of my questions. It is refreshing to be able to entertain a question and then leave it open for the Spirit to bring various things to my attention over a period of time to enlighten me further and bring resolution and peace. In fact, there are times when I feel a little resentful or maybe cheated whenever someone feels the need to immediately answer every question. It betrays an insecurity on their part. It is far more rewarding to join with others in exploring questions with open minds and hearts than to demand quick answers that many times prove to be faulty in the long run.

Father, continue to reveal to my mind and heart why You had Paul write these words. Show me how this enhances the others things I am learning from this chapter and why it is so important for me to be fully convinced in my mind. Show me what it is that I am to be fully convinced of and help me not to impose my own preferences in the answer. Surround me with Your presence today and fill my mind with Your wisdom and Your disposition. Make me a channel for You today.

(next in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment. Let me know how you feel about what you are reading. This is where I share my personal thoughts and feelings about whatever I am studying in the Word at this time and I relish your input.